5.01.2008

"How to Make an American Quilt"

Unless it's scrapbook related, I usually have the attention span of a gnat, therefore, do not like to "commit" to watching movies. :-D However, I have watched a few that I really enjoyed and tend to watch over and over again: Trains, Planes and Automobiles, Funny Farm, You've Got Mail... you get the idea, comedy or chic flicks. But my all time favorite movie is "How to Make an American Quilt."



Finn is a young graduate student, finishing a master's thesis, and preparing for marriage to her fiance Sam. She goes home to her grandmother, where, over the making of her wedding gift by a group of quilting-bee friends, the women share their stories, which leads Finn to reflect on her life and where it is headed. The movie stars Winona Ryder, Anne Bancroft, Ellen Burstyn, among others.

My favorite theme of the movie is "Love Resides Here" and I can see so much of my life in it. It is a timeless tale about the relationships women have with each other, and their men. About once a year, I dust off the DVD and sit with my box of tissues all by myself and watch it all the way through, without thinking "gee, that was a perfectly good waste of two hours."

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this movie! May have to check it out sometime... Glad to know I'm not the only one who needs a box of kleenex when I watch movies!!! :wink:

    ReplyDelete